The most renowned AI researchers and high-profile figures (David Rolnick, Andrew Ng, Demis Hassabis, Jennifer Chayes, Yoshua Bengio and many others) prepared a study of machine learning, which could help save our planet and humanity from extinction.
The report covers 13 areas, including eletricity systems, agriculture and logistics, where machine learning can contribute effectively by various subdisciplines, including computer vision, natural-language processing, and reinforcement learning.
10 most important recommendations built on machine learning:
1. Improve predictions of electricity forecasting, which is essential for the usage of renewable energy
2. Discovering new materials for better energy collection, storage and use. Machine learning can significantly speed up this slow and cumbersome process
3. Optimization of transport routes, because nowadays it is too complicated and inadequate
4. Promoting the electric transport, which reduces the carbon dioxide. Machine learning makes it possible to minimize the amount of energy used, thus increasing the range.
5. Increase the energy efficiency of buildings by optimizing heating, cooling, ventilation and lighting with intelligent control systems
6. Improving the estimation of energy used by machine vision in areas where data on energy consumption and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are not currently monitored
7. Optimizing the supply chain with a more accurate forecast of supply and demand
8. Expansion of precision agriculture by increase of production, minimize the usage of fertilizers and pesticides
9. Deforestation tracking with algorithms based on the combination of satellite imaginery, ground sensors and a chainsaw sound recognition
10. Targeted marketing techniques for changing shopping behaviors to help behave in more environmentally aware ways.
All the above are in harmony with the ethics guidelines of European Commission in terms of „societal and environmental well-being”, therefore AI can really contribute to these efforts.
We at Neuron Solutions are committed to fighting climate change. We firmly believe that AI will not destroy, but saves humanity.